Wednesday 1 May 2013

What now?

I was hoping to be able to speak to Craig before his team spoke to him so I got in touch and asked if he would mind if I came for a visit on Monday (29th). Of course he said sure "and bring the dogs." I was down East and on the way home the car broke down in New Hampshire. We ended up having to stay until Tuesday evening and I knew, by then, his team would likely have told him what was going on. At first, I was told we weren't likely to be leaving New Hampshire until Thursday so I sent him a message to let him know what had been decided. I needed him to know why I was no longer a candidate, but really wanted it to come from me first, preferably face to face. 

Craig, being Craig, said it didn't matter how I contacted him and was still thankful for the effort, although I can't imagine the blow this must have been. I know it was out of my control, but that does not change the impact of the outcome. 

it's unfortunate that the CT Scan is usually where people are eliminated from the program, since it is the last test to be done, but it is also the most expensive, hardest to book, etc, so it is only done if necessary.  At least one other of the people going through the program on his behalf was also eliminated at this point. 

My only advice at this point, for anyone going through the process, is to know that the outcome is out of your control. If you are able to proceed with the program and become a donor, that's fantastic, if not, you've done what you can. 

I'm looking forward to getting together with Craig, letting our dogs play and continuing to help with the search for a donor. I have committed to sharing the information until 5 more people have come forward to be tested (but I won't stop there of course), and also to remind those who are not a match for Craig directly, they can still continue with the Paired Program and still find him a kidney! If you're willing to donate directly, you should still be willing to donate indirectly! Think about it. :)

So, I will now be a control for the 5 year study on the impact of kidney donation. Those who have donated will be followed and the impact on them will be tracked; physical, mental, financial, and of course their overall health. I will have my blood pressure taken every day for two weeks, give blood and urine samples and then continue with the blood and urine yearly for 5 years. 

Please consider living donation....



No comments:

Post a Comment